Read Part 3 of 8 of our Complete Guide to Small Hotel Property Management Software to learn more about how small hotel PMS systems work, including on-premise PMS for hotels and cloud hotel management software.
1. How Does Property Management System Software for Small Hotels Work?
Property management system software for small hotels works by acting as a centralized hub where you can easily access and manage all information relating to running your property.
By combining the core functions of your front desk and back office into one software interface, property management system software offers an end-to-end solution that can help streamline daily operations across all departments, such as:
- Making bookings and managing distribution channels
- Managing reservations
- Adjusting room rates based on real-time demand
- Coordinating guest check-in and check-out
- Sending pre-arrival instructions to guests
- Processing payments
- Managing tasks such as room service delivery, housekeeping, and maintenance
- Goal setting and revenue management
- Reporting and analytics on key metrics such as average daily rate, occupancy, revPAR, and more
There are two main types of property management system software to consider:
- On-premise PMS for hotels: These PMS hotel systems are locally hosted, which means you’ll only be able to access your PMS dashboard on devices with the software installed. On-premise PMS hotel systems are typically used by large hotel chains who have the space and IT staff to maintain and secure dedicated on-site servers and other required tech. Integrations with other systems can also be more challenging to configure, often requiring technical expertise and financial investment.
- Cloud hotel management software: Cloud hotel management systems are completely web-based, which means you can access your PMS from any connected device, including your smartphone. In addition to ease of access, cloud hotel management systems are also typically ideal for small hotels because they have fewer cumbersome on-site technology requirements, significantly reduced up-front and ongoing costs, and they are much easier to set up and maintain.
Both types of property management system software work differently. In the next section, we’ll compare the two types of PMS for hotels and take a closer look at cloud hotel management software for small hotels.
2. How Does Cloud Hotel Management Software Work?
Cloud hotel management software can be accessed on any browser using any connected device. Simply log in on your device of choice from anywhere your work day takes you, whether you’re sitting behind your front desk or across your property cleaning a room.
Cloud hotel management software is also typically easier to use and offers small hotels a number of advantages over on-premise software, such as:
- A simple dashboard
- Seamless implementation
- Data migration
- Data storage
- Automatic software updates
- Integrations with other systems
- Add-on features for expanded functionality
Let’s take a closer look at each of these features.
i. Simple dashboard
When your key property management information is available in a single interface, you can spend less time digging up key statistics and more time thinking about how that information can benefit your property, such as improving workflows, enhancing guest satisfaction, cutting costs, and increasing revenue.
If you’re considering cloud hotel management software, look for an easy-to-read dashboard that makes it easy to find the info you need. Even better—look for customizable dashboards that you can configure so they show the information that matters most to you, not just what your PMS provider thinks you need to know.
ii. Seamless implementation
The best cloud hotel management software providers will supply a dedicated implementation advisor to make sure your software is up and running as quickly as possible and that everyone on your team gets the support and training they need. Running a hotel is a round-the-clock business, so your property management system software vendor should also offer 24/7 customer support in case any issues pop up at any time of the day or night.
iii. Data migration
What happens to all of your existing data when you upgrade to cloud hotel management software? The last thing you want is to lose your past and future reservation or guest information. Cloud hotel management systems should offer full data migration for both past and future reservations at no additional cost, so none of your data is left behind when you migrate.
iv. Data storage
With cloud hotel management software, your property information is stored off-site in servers that are managed by your software vendor. That means there’s no need to install on-site servers to store your data, and no worries about maintaining equipment or ensuring data security—ideal for small properties.
v. Automatic software updates
Unlike on-premise PMS for hotels, cloud hotel management software updates are typically quick and hassle-free and they don’t require you to pay more to access new features—also ideal for small properties.
vi. Integrations with other systems
Integrating your property management system software with key external channels and other systems is vital to getting the most from your cloud hotel management software. For example, innRoad offers payment processing tools that are designed to cut out third parties and decrease fees, but we can also work with most major credit card processors to integrate everything into your innroad system. Whether you just need a simple all-in-one PMS or sophisticated add-on features and integrations, we’ll work with you to set up cloud hotel management software that works for you.
INNROAD FACT: innRoad is PCI DSS certified. All payments are handled with point-to-point encryption so no innRoad employee or malicious third party can access the full credit card details of a guest.
3. Checking Out
Cloud hotel management software like innRoad is designed to help small hotel owners manage some or all aspects of their hotel operations, including:
- Making bookings, managing distribution channels, and adjusting room rates based on real-time demand
- Guest check-in and check-out and sending pre-arrival instructions to guests
- Managing reservations and processing payments
- Managing tasks such as housekeeping and coordinating add-on services purchased during the booking process
- Goal setting and performance management with reporting and analytics on key metrics such as average daily rate, occupancy, revPAR, and more
With all-in-one property management system software like innRoad, small hotel owners can integrate all their daily operations into one easy to use platform. With no annual contract, no upfront costs, or hidden fees, you can access our all-inclusive hotel property management system, as well as all the tools you need to position your small hotel for success and achieve your long-term goals.